Gomez

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Food and Cooking Utensils and Equipment.

















Since water was the previous blog I figured food should be next.
I am not going into all the different brands of hiking foods
available or mention any other food brand name products.
One reason for this is that years ago packing only trail hiking
food into Algonquin Park with my sister for a week.  This one
brand specifically, the stuff all tasted the same, tasted like the
food preservative that was used.  After a week of eating the
horrible stuff I swore never to make that mistake again. Now
I mentioned packing light yesterday and along the same lines
today, you could actually do with out cooking equipment and
just pack food that doesn’t require to be cooked or heated up,
saves weight but does cut down on the variety available.
I prefer to heat up some of the food I carry, I like hot
chocolate on the trail and my sister loves a good cup of
coffee in the mornings.  Peanuts and Raisins also referred
to as GORP (Good old Peanuts & Raisins) took me a while
to work that out is great and a lot of hikers mix this with
other stuff like M&Ms.  I also take a mix of food bars such
as Sweet and Salty bought at a grocery store, premixed
spaghetti packets, peanut butter and jam (packet style
little in fast food restaurants), flat bread or tortillas.  That’s
basically if for food not much imagination. 

Now for cooking utensils what I use is simple just a spork,
no knife, no nothing else.  Simple effective and very light weight.

Now for Equipment such as a stove I use, as stated in the video
part of this blog, an alcohol stove .  Its light weight and
with the windscreen cut to size from a whisperlite windscreen
very effective.  There are two draw backs however to an
alcohol stove the first is that you have no control over the
flame, once you light it you have to let it burn off the fuel.
The second draw back is that in cold weather it takes longer
to startup and in so doing uses more fuel.  There is only one
other stove however that I would use for backpacking and
its the whisperlite from MSR, its heavier but still lightweight,
cooks fast, and gives you good flame control.  I only use a 2 liter
pot for cooking, its stainless steel and from MSR, one of the
best purchases I ever made.  I have a separate pot grabber
which I recommend for and too any one, because I would hate to see
someone get burned grabbing the pot handles after cooking.
Always remember safety first and for most.
And that’s it for tonight’s blog.

1 comment: