Gomez

Monday, August 30, 2010

Other Equipment






















This blog is dealing with other hiking equipment
not yet covered.  It will not be dealing with safety
equipment that will be tomorrows blog.  First off
one of the things mentioned was the different
between what is put on the back and shoulders
and the difference on the legs.   Some people do
not use hiking poles, I however like them a lot.
  The main reason I like them is they make it easy
on my legs and have prevented me from falling
a few times.  I have no real preference for type
just a good solid built set that is light weight and
collapsible.  On my 2005 hike I used my skiing
poles and they worked great, they just weren’t
very collapsible and when you are in town to pick
up supplies it helps a lot.  For sleeping bags I
have no real preference this is however a very
tricky item.  I prefer down to foam as it packs
smaller, however price is an issue here because
the better and smaller the sleeping bag the
higher the cost.  For my 2005 hike a purchase
a +5 bag cheap, should of had a better lower
rated bag but I did not want to spend the
money on it and for the most part the bag
was okay, not great just okay.  So for the up
coming PCT hike I purchase a better bag
spent quit a lot doing it but I prefer comfort
and warmth over being cold.  Now under the
sleeping bag goes a pad either foam or air or
a combo of both.  Therma-rest makes several
types as does Big Agnes, Coleman and others.
Find one you like take it and all you equipment
into a field or backyard and try them out before
you do a big hike. You do not want to spend
an uncomfortable 6 months trying to look sane
as you go insane. Now as for bathing equipment
one towel, a bar of soap, tooth brush (shortened),
toothpaste and some baby wipes and that is it for
personal hygiene products and this blog.
See you all tomorrow.

P.S remember to buy a hiking backpack big enough for all
your stuff and not to heavy, for this check out Go-lite and
Granite Gear.

No comments:

Post a Comment