Gomez

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Tents and Tarps






















First off I have no major preferences for tents or tarps.
Now that being said anything you bought at Canadian tire
or Wal-mart is not good for hiking, camping yes, hiking no.
The main reason for that is the fact these types of tents
are made of heavy fabrics, are very solid built and therefore
very heavy.  For hiking the lighter the better, though I like
to have mosquito netting and a bath tub floor.  Tarps are the
lightest and probably the easiest to setup, there are a few
places to get them, and Ray Jardine actually tells you how
to make one that is really very good.  Doing the Appalachian trail
in 2005, I used a Hennessy Hammock, hope I spelled that
right.  Now truth be told I only used the hammock 1/3 of
the time, most of the time on the Appalachian Trail I used a
shelter which were spaced about every 8 to 10 miles apart
and fit about ten people inside.  The Hammock with extras
I added totally just over one and a half pounds, most tarps
are a pound or less.  Big Agnes makes a series of tents called
Seedhouse superlight and come in one, two, and three
person sizes.  The two man Seedhouse superlight is just over
3 pounds and is a free standing tent with a nice vestibule
for your packs.  Now for Henry Shires and Tarptents.com , most
of these are tents are single walled and not freestanding and
are less than 2 pounds, come with mosquito netting and
bathtub floors.  Now the tent I purchased from Henry Shires
is the Double Rainbow , is a two person tent and is suppose to be
able to be freestanding.    I purchased the Double Rainbow for
three reasons first is its a lightweight 2 person tent
(just over two and a half pounds), second its has two entrances
and vestibules and the third reason is its suppose to be free
standing.  Now the reason I keep saying suppose to be is that
I have tried to do the free standing part with my trekking poles
and its dam hard to do and worst if the winds up and even Henry
says its more stable staked down.  If you want a really good free
standing tent buy the Big Agnes Seedhouse 2 person superlite
and trust me you will not be disappointed.  The Hennessy
hammock was okay but the reason I am not going to use it is the
simple fact I am a person who sleeps on his stomach not on my
back, when I am really tired I can sleep on my back otherwise no.
Thats it for tents, the only other thing I would suggest is watch

were you pitch the tent.  Just before I did my 2005 hike
someone was killed by a tree falling on their tent.  I, myself
had a tree fall between my hammock and Brother buzz’s tent
which were only 5 feet apart.  Now Hora pitched his tent a
few times in very nice spots up until it rained and the spot
became a lake with his tent in the middle, pitch on a bit of a
slope to avoid this.

No comments:

Post a Comment